- 3 multicolor sweet peppers, cut into julienne strips
- 3 carrots, julienne cut
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, julienne cut
- ½ c. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, julienne cut
- ¼ c. stuffed spanish olives
- 2 – 4 Tbsp. sofrito *
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 ½ tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. ground oregano
- 3 oz. tomato paste
- 4 c. water
- 1 block of tofu, water pack, extra firm
- 1/4 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 c. bread crumbs, herb seasoned
- Cut tofu into slices, dip into soy sauce, then into bread crumbs. Bake at 350 degrees until crispy, about 15 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, heat water with cumin, oregano and sofrito, olives, garlic, tomato paste, and bay leaves. Simmer for a few minutes, and add onions and carrots.
- When onions are soft, add peppers and cilantro. Simmer until thick. Add tofu and serve.
*To make sofrito, combine 1 bunch cilantro, 2 medium onions, peeled; 1 bulb of garlic, peeled; 1 bunch culantro (Chinese flat-leaved cilantro) or 1/2 bunch of flat-leaved parsley, 1 red bell pepper, seeded; 2 green bell peppers, seeded; and 2 large tomatoes (opt.) and process in food processor until smooth. Salt to taste. Extra sofrito can be frozen in ice cube trays and saved for later.