- 1 medium sweet onion, slivered
- 1 c. red and yellow bell peppers, slivered
- 1 c. zucchini, sliced and quartered
- 1 c. mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium avocados
- ½ c. jalapeño pepper nacho slices, opt
- non-stick cooking spray as needed
- 12 – 9″ whole wheat tortillas
- 4 c. whole white wheat flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/3 c. oil
- 1 ½ c. hot water
- For filling, spray a large non-stick skillet with non-stick cooking spray, add onion and sauté until clear.
- Add red and yellow peppers, zucchini, summer squash and mushrooms, adding additional non-stick cooking spray as needed. Continue to sauté’ until tender. Set aside.
- In another skillet, spray with non-stick cooking spray and place one tortilla in pan. Top with sautéed vegetables and then top with avocado slices and jalapeno nacho slices.
- Place another tortilla on top. Over medium heat, cook until golden on both sides, approx 2-3 min per side. Remove from pan and repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Cut each quesadilla into 8 triangles with pizza cutter or knife. Serve hot!
- For tortillas, combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the middle and add oil. Quickly mix oil into flour until mixture resembles small peas.
- Add hot water, about ¼ cup at a time, quickly mixing with flour and kneading slightly into small balls of dough. Continue until all flour is absorbed into small balls of dough.
- Combine to make one big ball of dough. Turn out onto floured surface and knead 1-2 min until smooth and elastic. Let dough rest for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Divide into 24 equal pieces and knead each piece into individual balls.
- Preheat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Using a well-floured rolling pin, roll each ball into a thin, round tortilla.
- Place into the hot skillet, and cook until bubbly and golden; flip and continue cooking until golden on the other side.
- Place the cooked tortilla in a tortilla warmer; continue rolling and cooking the remaining dough.
*Serve with soy sour cream, guacamole or your choice of other toppings.