- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium yellow sweet pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 c. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced fine
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 medium eggplant, unpeeled, cut into small cubes
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 c. canned petite-diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 14 ounce package water-packed tofu
- In a large skillet sprayed with a non-stick cooking spray, sauté onion till clear. Add peppers, mushrooms, garlic, salt, eggplant and red pepper flakes.
- Continue to cook until eggplant is brown and a bit wilted. Add tomatoes, sugar and lemon juice. Turn heat down to low.
- On a cutting board, cut tofu into strips or cubes. In a separate skillet, sprayed with a non-stick cooking spray, sauté tofu over medium-high heat until golden brown on each side.
- Add to mixture above and mix well. Serve over brown rice or whole wheat pasta of your choice.