- 2 c. masa harina
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ t sp. salt
- ½ c. canola oil
- 2 c. water
- 2 Tbsp. McKay’s chicken style seasoning and broth
- 1 Tbsp. canola or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 c. slivered orange, red and yellow bell peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 15.5 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5 oz can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, including juice
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilies, including juice
- 1 19 oz can Worthington Loma Linda TenderBits- cut into thin slices
- 1 ½ c. frozen corn
- 4 c. lightly packed fresh baby spinach
- Before you start the filling, take a large pan and fill it with two inches of water. Place on the middle rack of a 350-degree oven.
- Spray a 10 inch deep pie dish with a non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- For the masa layer, whisk together all ingredients until well combined. Mixture should be the consistency of a soft cookie dough.
- Cover and set aside while you prepare the filling.
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil and add the onion and peppers and TenderBits. Sauté over medium heat until the onion is clear.
- Add the rest of the filling ingredients except the fresh spinach.
- Stir well and heat, then add the fresh spinach a little at a time until spinach has wilted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Crumble half of the masa into the pie dish and gently press with your fingers to cover the bottom and sides of the dish.
- Spoon filling evenly over the masa layer and then crumble the remaining masa over the top, again gently pressing to seal edges.
- Cover tightly with foil. Place covered pie dish into the pan of hot water, and cover with more foil, sealing tightly.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven, uncover, and let cool for 10-15 minutes. Serve warm.
* You can also bake the tamale pie in smaller, individual pie tins.