- 2 c. white whole wheat flour + ½ cup for kneading
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¾ c. powdered sugar
- ¼ c. canola or vegetable oil
- 2/3 c. almond milk
- 8-10 c. fresh strawberries, sliced
- 2 ½ c. non-dairy whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients, and set aside.
- In a separate bowl or measuring cup, add oil and almond milk and whip together until emulsified. Add quickly to dry ingredients and mix well.
- Immediately after mixing, turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead gently 5-6 times, then flatten dough slightly and fold over.
- Turn and fold dough four to five times sprinkling with just a little flour each time.
- Roll out or use hands to press and flatten dough to 1-inch thick. Cut biscuits using a sharp biscuit cutter or cookie cutter. Cut biscuits quickly and cleanly.
- Coat cutter in flour between cuts to ensure a clean cut. Brush tops with milk if you want a more golden crust.
- Place on a baking sheet 2 inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes. To check for doneness, using a spatula, gently lift center biscuit and if the bottom is golden . . . it’s done!
- Assemble Shortcake right before serving. To assemble: Slice biscuits in half and top with ½ cup sliced fresh strawberries. Cover with top of biscuit and cover with an additional ½ cup sliced strawberries. Top with ¼ cup non-dairy whipped topping.