- 1 c. rice flour
- 4+1/2 c. vital wheat gluten flour
- 2 c. mirepoix blend
- About 3 c. vegetable stock or water
- 1 Tbsp. caramel coloring
- Beefless base to taste
- Set aside 1/2 cup of vital wheat gluten flour for later use. Stir together the 4 cups vital flour and rice flour. Add the finely blended mirepoix, vegetable stock or water, beefless base and caramel color and mix well. Mixture should hold together; if not, add a little more vital flour.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled baking pan, forming into a log shape. Poke some holes into the gluten roll and take the remaining 1/2 cup of gluten flour and sprinkle thickly over the top, this will simulate fat in the finished product. Close up the holes gently and reform it into a log.
- Pour about 1/2 cup of water over the top, cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for about an hour. Remove cover and cook for an additional 30 minutes to brown the top. Cool and cut into desired pieces.
* To make mirepoix, combine chopped onions, carrots and celery, including celery leaves. Blend with enough water to make a smooth paste.