- Steam kettle
- Cheesecloth (12 inch) or parchment paper
- Cooking string
- 2 1/2 c. vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 c. nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 Tbsp. Beef-Style seasoning
- 2 Tbsp. granulated onion
- 2 Tbsp. fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika, ground
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. oregano, dried
- 1/4 tsp. allspice, ground
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce, lite
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke
- 2 1/2 c. cold water
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Stir completely. In a separate bowl combine the liquid ingredients.
- Add the garlic and liquid smoke, olive oil and soy sauce to the water. Pour the liquid into the dry mixture.
- Stir the ingredients. This is the base for the sausage. Spray your hands with vegetable cooking spray.
- Measure into one cup. Put in your hand, put on cheesecloth and make like a loaf. Then roll it in the cheesecloth and tie
the ends with string.
- Place in the steam basket and steam for 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from basket and cut
off the strings.
- Slice the roll into pieces. The pieces can then be cooked in a oiled pan or frozen for later use.
- This recipe makes four loaves.