- 2 c. red split peas
- 6 c. water
- 1/2 c. peeled, chopped sweet potato
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp. thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp. honey or other sweetener
- 1 c. coconut milk
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 pumpkin, peeled, seeded, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. chicken-style seasoning or vegetable bouillon
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 ear corn, sliced
- 2 tsp. salt (or to taste)
- 1 c. whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- water to bind
- Bring water to a boil. Add split peas, sweet potatoes, coconut milk, thyme, bay leaf, chicken-style seasoning and Italian seasoning.
- Add tomatoes, carrots, celery, corn, onion, garlic and honey.
- Cover and simmer until vegetables are nearly done.
- For dumplings, mix whole wheat flour and salt together. Stir in water until a soft dough is formed. Lightly knead in enough flour to make the dough stiff enough to shape.
- Form into small balls or other shapes. Drop into boiling soup.
- Simmer until vegetables are tender and dumplings are done. Stir in coconut milk and serve.