- 1 pk. active dry yeast
- 2 c. lukewarm water
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. fennel, crushed or ground
- 1 Tbsp. ground aniseed
- 1 Tbsp. cardamom
- 1 Tbsp. caraway seeds, optional
- 3 1/2 c. coarse rye flour
- 1 1/2 – 2 c. whole wheat flour
- Dissolve yeast and honey in 1/2 cup of the water. Set aside until bubbly.
- Stir yeast mixture into remaining water and add salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine rye flour, 1 1/2 cups wheat flour, fennel, aniseed and cardamom.
- Stir in yeast mixture. Knead lightly, adding flour as necessary, until a heavy dough is formed.
- Form dough into a roll and cut into 16 equal pieces.
- Form into balls and place on oiled baking sheet. Spray tops with oil and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let rise in a warm place for about 40 minutes. Roll out on a floured surface until very thin.
- Bake at 425 degrees for about 3 minutes, turning halfway through baking.