- 1 c. brown sugar
- ½ c. Smart Balance Light, or soy margarine
- ¼ c. soymilk or Silk brand non-dairy creamer
- 2 c. coarsely chopped pecans
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1-1/3 c. sugar
- 1 c. canola oil
- 2 c. canned pumpkin
- 4 Tbsp. cornstarch
- To make sauce: In a small saucepan combine the brown sugar, margarine and soymilk or the Silk non-dairy creamer.
- Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and let stand to cool slightly.
- Spray two 9 inch round baking pans with a nonstick baking spray and lightly flour.
- Pour the sauce into the baking pans making sure to divide evenly between them. Sprinkle 1 cup of chopped pecans in each pan. Set aside.
- For the cake: In a medium-mixing bowl combine all dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Add the canola oil and canned pumpkin and beat with an electric mixer just until mixture is well combined.
- Carefully spoon the batter over the praline sauce in the baking pans. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick or knife inserted in the centers comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and invert onto a cooling rack that has been covered with waxed paper.
- Let cool and then put one cake praline side up onto a cake platter. Put the other cake praline side up on top of the first cake. You can serve it like that or decorate the top with non-dairy whipped topping.