- ¾ c. raw cashews, rinsed
- ¼ c. arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. onion powder
- 1 Tbsp. salt, or to taste
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. package fresh mushrooms, finely diced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 4 c. water
- In a blender add cashews, arrowroot powder, onion powder, salt and 2 cups water. Blend on high speed until smooth, about 5 minutes.
- In a saucepan sauté olive oil, onions and mushrooms until tender. Reduce heat to medium-low, pour blended cashew mixture over the sautéed mushroom mixture, add the remaining water and stir with a wire whisk until thickened. If you want a mushroom sauce for a casserole, add the additional water to the mushroom mixture ½ cup at a time until desired thickness is reached.