- 3 c. quick oats, uncooked
- 1 c. shredded or flaked coconut
- 1 c. walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/2 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 c. margarine, non-hydrogenated
- 1 c. pure maple syrup
- 2 c. carob chips
- 1 c. peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, combine oats, coconut, nuts, flour and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a heavy 3 quart saucepan, combine margarine and maple syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add to the oat mixture and stir until well blended.
- Drop by level tablespoonfuls into paper-lined 2 inch muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 – 12 minutes, until bubbly, and edges are light golden brown. Be careful not to burn them. While still warm, make a small depression in the middle of each cookie.
- Spread peanut butter over the bottom and sides of a small microwaveable bowl. Add carob chips and microwave for 1 minute, or until carob chips are melted. Mix well. Fill each oat cup with the carob-peanut butter mixture. Makes about 4 dozen cookies.