- 3 c. all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1 c. soy margarine
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp. almond extract
- 1/4 c. applesauce
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- melted margarine
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, cornstarch, and salt together. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the margarine and sugar together until fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract, almond extract, and applesauce. Mix until blended.
- With the mixer on low, add the dry ingredients. Beat until the dough is crumbly.
Cover dough and chill in refrigerator several hours or overnight.
- Divide dough in half. Roll out to an 8 x 8 square and cut into quarters.
- Cut into strips ¾ inch thick. Place three strips next to each other, then weave three more strips in horizontally, like a basket weave. Cut the cookie with a 3-inch round cookie cutter.
Mix cinnamon and sugar together. Brush tops of cookies with melted margarine and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until golden.