- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 7 oz. or 200 g tomato puree (paste)
- 2 Tbsp. pearled barley
- 5 1/4 pints or 3 liters fresh vegetable stock
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 parsnips, cored and cut into batons
- 2 baking potatoes, very finely sliced
- 1 oz. or 25 g vegan butter, melted
- dash Tabasco sauce
- Heat oil in skillet and add tomato paste and chopped onions. Cook until onions are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine carrots, parsnips and potatoes. Cover with water and simmer until vegetables are tender. Drain.
- Transfer half of the vegetables to an oiled baking dish and cover with half of the tomato mixture. Repeat layers.
- Add vegetable stock. Add barley and Tabasco and dot the top with butter. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.