- 2 c. basmati rice
- 1 c. masoor dal or moong dal
- 4 c. water
- 1/4 c. oil
- 4 cloves
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 – 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- salt to taste
- 3 – 4 curry leaves
- 1 Tbsp. ginger garlic paste*
- 1 – 2 c. mixed vegetables, optional
- Toast lentils in a dry skillet for a few minutes. (Red lentils will turn yellow.)
- In another skillet, heat oil and add cardamom, cloves, and cinnamon stick, and sauté, covered, for a few minutes.
- Add onion and green chilies, cover, and sauté until onions are lightly browned.
- Add curry leaves and sauté another minute or so.
- Add ginger garlic paste and turmeric. Add rice and stir-fry for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in lentils.
- Add to saucepan or rice cooker, along with water and salt.
- Cover and simmer until water is absorbed. Stir once during cooking, adding cilantro at that time.
* to make ginger garlic paste, blend equal amounts of fresh ginger and fresh garlic in a small amount of water.