- 1 c. flour
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp. yellow split peas, soaked at least 2 hours
- 1 tsp. brown sugar, opt.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 c. ice cold water
- Combine all dry ingredients and mix together. Blend soaked split peas in the cold water.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add olive oil. Add split pea mixture a little at a time, stirring, until dough is moistened and holds together.
- Pinch off pieces of dough and shape into 1-inch balls, then flatten the balls and drop into hot oil.
- When the dough rises slightly or “blooms”, turn them over and fry the other side.