- 1 c. unbleached flour plus germ
- 3/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 4 Tbsp. soy margarine, cut into pieces
- 6 – 8 Tbsp. cold water
- 5 c. Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4” slices
- 6-oz. can apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 4 Tbsp. unbleached flour with germ
- 1/2 c. raisins
- In a saucepan, combine apples and apple juice concentrate. Simmer until apples are softened. Stir in raisins. Mix a little water into the 4 tablespoons flour, then stir into apple mixture. Cook, stirring, until thickened.
- For crust, stir together remaining flours and sea salt. With a pastry blender, work in the soy margarine until mixture resembles small peas. Stir in the cold water until mixture holds together.
- Roll dough out into a large circle and place on a baking sheet. Fill with cooled apple mixture and pinch up edges to seal in filling. Bake at 400 degrees F for about 30 minutes.