- 2 16-ounce cans chick peas
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup onion, diced and sautéed
- ¼ cup fresh or 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup cooked bulgur wheat
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- Dash cayenne pepper
Creamy Cucumber Sauce
- 1 ½ cup of soy sour cream
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. VegeSal
- 2 small cucumbers
- 1 small tomato
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Soy milk if needed for thinning
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until thoroughly combined and smooth.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with a non stick cooking spray.
- Form mixture into patties 2 ½ – 3 inches in diameter. Place on baking sheet.
- Spray each patty with the non stick cooking spray. Bake for 20-25 min. or until golden brown, turning halfway through.
- For cucumber sauce: wash and dice cucumbers. Wash tomato, remove seeds and dice.
- Add cucumber and tomato to soy sour cream. Add lemon juice and seasoned salt.
- Stir until well mixed. You may add some soy milk if it is to thick.
- Serve patties warm or cold in pita bread, adding a romaine lettuce leaf and spooning cucumber sauce in between the patties and lettuce.