- 1/2 c. Earth Balance margarine
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 c. unbleached white flour
- 1 1/2 c. quick oats
- 2 Tbsp. wheat germ
- 1/2 c. walnuts
- 1 recipe date filling
- 4 c. medjool dates, pitted
- 4 c. water
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream margarine and brown sugar. Add salt, wheat germ, flour, oats and walnuts. Mix until crumbly.
- Press half of mixture into baking pan. Cook dates and water until smooth and soft. Spread over oat mixture in pan.
- Sprinkle remaining oat mixture over top. Bake at 325 degrees for 30 – 40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool and cut into squares.