For the dough:
- 2 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/4 c. almond milk
- 3 Tbsp. soy margarine
- 1 Tbsp. margarine
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 c. powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 Tbsp. almond milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, mix 2 ¼ cups flour, sugar, salt, and yeast together. Set aside.
- Heat the water, milk, and margarine together in the microwave until the margarine is melted. Stir the margarine into the flour mixture.
- Add only enough of the reserved flour to make a soft dough, approximately 1/3 cup. Dough will be ready when it becomes elastic and pulls away from the side of the bowl.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for about 3-4 minutes.
- Form into a ball and place in a bowl that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Cover tightly and rest for 30 minutes. The dough will slightly rise.
- Roll the dough out in a 15 x 12 inch rectangle. Spread the melted margarine on top.
- Mix the cinnamon and sugar together and sprinkle it evenly over the top.
- Spray a 9-inch round pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Using a very sharp knife, cut the dough into six 2-inch wide strips. Loosely roll up one strip and position it in the center of the pan.
- Place the remaining strips around the center roll, starting each strip at the end of the previous one.
- Loosely cover with a towel and allow to rise in a warm place for 60-90 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly browned, covering, if necessary, with aluminum foil to prevent it from browning too much.