- 1+1/2 c. flour, sifted
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder, aluminum free
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 c. carob powder or cocoa powder
- 1 c. soy or almond milk
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 3/4 c. cane juice crystals
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 c. Earth Balance margarine, room temperature
- 2 c. organic powdered sugar
- 4 Tbsp. Earth Balance margarine, cold
- 1+1/2 Tbsp. soy or almond milk
- 1/8 tsp. peppermint extract
- 2 peppermint candy canes, finely crushed
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In medium mixing bowl add flour, carob powder or cocoa, baking powder and salt. Stir together with wire whisk and set aside.
- In separate bowl add soy or almond milk, lemon juice, sugar, earth balance margarine, and vanilla. Stir with spoon or wire whisk until well combined. Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Spoon or scoop batter into 12 muffin cups lined with paper liners, about 2/3 full. Bake for 20 minutes or until cupcakes spring back when lightly touched in the center.
- Remove from oven and let stand in pan for about 5 minutes and then place individually on wire rack until cool.
- For the frosting, place all ingredients into a medium mixing bowl and blend on high with hand mixer until creamy smooth. Frost cupcakes and sprinkle with crushed peppermint pieces. Store in airtight container.