- 1/2 c. Earth Balance margarine
- 1 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Ener-G egg replacer, mixed with 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 1/2 c. soymilk
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 c. unbleached white flour
- 1/2 c. Chatfield carob powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. margarine
- 1 1/3 c. soymilk
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. unbleached white flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/3 c. flaked coconut
- 1 1/3 c. chopped pecans
- For cake: cream margarine and brown sugar together. Add egg replacer mixture, baking powder, salt, carob powder and flour and mix.
- Add soymilk and vanilla. Blend with hand mixture until smooth, scraping sides of bowl as necessary.
- Pour into 8 inch oiled and floured cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes.
- For frosting, combine flour, margarine, soymilk, brown sugar and vanilla. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture thickens.
- Add coconut and pecans. Cool slightly and spread over cake.
* You can make cupcakes with this batter as well.