- 1 large head of broccoli, or 8 c. chopped
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. soy margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large leek, chopped
- 1 c. carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 c. medium-grain brown rice
- 5 c. water
- 2 Tbsp. McKay’s chicken style seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 8-oz. package. Better than Cream Cheese
- salt to taste
- Heat the soy margarine and olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Sauté the onion, leek and carrots until the onion is soft and clear. Stir frequently to avoid burning.
- Divide the broccoli into small florets and cut off the stems. Peel the large stems and then chop into small pieces. Add the broccoli, rice, water, bay leaves and salt to the stock pot. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes, or until the rice and vegetables are tender.
- Remove the bay leaves and stir in the Better than Cream Cheese. Keep stirring until the cream cheese is melted and well mixed in the soup. Salt to taste. Garnish with carrot curls and a sprinkle of paprika.