For sandwich, fajita, and wrap variations, see notes at end of recipe.
- 3/4 c. gluten flour
- 1/4 c. rice flour
- 1 c. water
- 3 Tbsp. Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
- 1 Tbsp. granulated garlic
- 1 Tbsp. powdered onion
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable Base
- 1/4 c. sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 c. onion slivers
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. rosemary
- 1 tsp. thyme
- minced garlic as desired
- 1/2 c. brown gravy
- 1 sheet puff pastry dough
- For veggie steaks, mix the wet ingredients and add the dry, mixing well. Shape into steaks. Bake on oil-sprayed parchment-lined baking sheet, at 350 degrees F for 5 – 7 minutes on each side.
- Prepare sauté items and set aside. Cut puff pastry sheet into 6 squares.
- To make Wellingtons, place some sautéed onions and mushrooms in the center of a square of pastry. Add a tablespoon of gravy, and place a gluten steak on top. Bring the corners of the dough together and bake seam side down at 350 degrees F for 35 – 40 minutes.
Variations: Veggie Steak Recipe Ideas
- Sauté sliced veggie steak with barbecue sauce. Stuff into buns.
- Sauté onions, peppers, and sliced veggie steaks. Can also add salsa, garlic and mushrooms. Season with cayenne and seasoned salt.
- Stuff into small tortilla loosely folded in half. Add lettuce if desired.
- Spread tortilla with a mixture of soy mayonnaise, crushed artichokes and sun-dried tomatoes. Add sliced veggie steak, lettuce, peppers, and spinach if desired.
- Spread tortilla with barbecue sauce and sauce from canned chipotle peppers. Add your choice of sliced veggie steak, peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and vegan cheese.
- Spread tortilla with soy mayonnaise, soy Parmesan, and garlic. Fill with avocado, sliced gluten, lettuce, cucumber, tomato, salsa, and cheese.
To fold up: Tuck edge of tortilla around filling, fold in sides, then finish rolling it up. Cut in half diagonally and serve.