- 4 c. vital wheat gluten flour
- 1 c. whole wheat flour
- 1 c. nutritional yeast
- 4 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 15 ounce packages regular firm tofu
- 2 ½ c. water
- 6 Tbsp. Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 2 Tbsp. oil
Wild Rice Stuffing:
- 4 c. cooked wild rice
- 1 Tbsp. grape seed oil
- 4 c. onion, finely chopped
- 4 c. mushrooms, finely chopped
- 8 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 10 c. fresh bread crumbs
- 4 c. liquid broth (homemade; see below)
- 2 c. dried cranberries, finely chopped
- 2 c. pecans, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. rubbed sage
- 1 tsp. ground thyme
- 2 tsp. fresh rosemary, minced
- 3 Tbsp. Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 4 c. hot water
- 2/3 c. homemade broth powder (see recipe below)
- 4 Tbsp. oil
Homemade Broth Powder:
- 2 2/3 c. nutritional yeast
- 1/3 c. onion powder
- 5 Tbsp. sea salt
- 5 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp. raw sugar
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 tsp. rubbed sage
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. turmeric
For the Wrapping:
- 2-4 pkgs. bean curd pouch, thawed
- For gluten: first mix dry ingredients. Then blend wet ingredients and tofu in blender until smooth and creamy.
- Next mix dry and wet together in bread kneading bowl with dough hook.
- Knead for about 10 minutes. Let the dough rest for 1 hour, covered. Then knead again for 10 min. Dough should be shiny and smooth but not too wet to be kneadable.
- While gluten is resting, prepare the Wild Rice Stuffing: Sauté all the veggies in a skillet that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the herbs, and combine with the remaining ingredients. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- To prepare the broth powder, combine all ingredients and place in a blender. The remainder can be stored in an airtight container.
- Next, prepare the basting broth by combining all broth ingredients and mixing well.
- Roll out gluten in 2 large or 4 medium rectangles depending on your casserole options. Spread out rice stuffing on gluten, leaving 1″ border. Roll up tightly like a jelly roll and seal seams.
- Place in parchment-lined and oil-sprayed casserole dishes, then pour half of the basting broth over the rolls, reserving the rest.
- Place casserole dishes in preheated 350 degree oven. Bake uncovered for 1 hour and 15 minutes, turning once after 45 minutes, using the parchment paper to accomplish this by just removing the paper as you turn it. Return to oven for another 30 min.
- When gluten looks well done and most of the broth is absorbed, then remove from oven and turn once more.
- Open the bean curd pouches and tuck them around the loaf. Garnish with sprigs of fresh rosemary.
- Baste with remaining broth. Return to oven and bake approximately 30 minutes more, until well-browned.
- Garnish with fresh herbs etc. Allow to cool for a few minutes, then carefully slice, keeping the skin in place.